Casteel St. George d'Elmina
"Castle of St. George d'Elmina" (caption translation). From the Voltaic region, this view from the sea shows Elmina, which was built by the Portuguese in the 1480s. By 1637, the Dutch took it over until 1872. Bosman was an official of the Dutch West India Company and chief factor at Elmina. See Christopher DeCorse, An Archaeology of Elmina: Africans and Europeans on the Gold Coast, 1400-1900 (Smithsonian Institution Press, 2001). Refer also to Image D021.
Willem Bosman, Nauwkeurige Beschryving van de Guinese Goud-, Tand- en Slave-Kust. . . (Utrecht, 1704), fig. 1, facing p. 44. (Copy in the John Carter Brown Library at Brown University)
Image is in the public domain. Metadata is available under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International.
"Casteel St. George d'Elmina", Slavery Images: A Visual Record of the African Slave Trade and Slave Life in the Early African Diaspora, accessed June 24, 2021, http://slaveryimages.org/s/slaveryimages/item/625