Fort St. Anthony at Axim, Gold Coast, early 18th cent.
Thomas Astley (ed.), A New General Collection of Voyages and Travels (London, 1745-47), vol. 2, plate 63, fig. 1, between pp. 578 and 579 (Special Collections, University of Virginia Library)
The fort, at the time owned by the Dutch West India company, is shown along with various geographical features, each marked by a letter, e.g., B. Rock on which the Negro's put their wives & children when they go to war. The African village of Achombene is shown spread out behind the fort, marked with the letter F. The fort is seated on a large, high rock and its surrounding area and people, including the latter's methods of acquiring gold, are described on pp. 575-576.
Metadata is available under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International