Moravian (United Brethren) Mission Station, St. Croix, Danish West Indies, 1768
C. G. A. Oldendorp, Geschichte der Mission der Evangelischen Bruder auf den Caraibischen Inseln S. Thomas, S. Croix und S. Jan (Leipzig, 1777); illustration is folded before title page. (Copy in the John Carter Brown Library at Brown University)
Caption, Friedensthal on St. Croix on a Prayer Day. Woodcut engraving of the Moravian Mission Station at Friedensthal, St. Croix. The church is to the left, the living quarters of the missionaries in the background; a Negro hut is shown on the right. Black congregants are seen entering the mission for a religious service. Oldendorp was in the West Indies in 1767-1769. For a modern edition that is copiously indexed, edited by J. J. Bossard and translated into English by A. R. Highfield and V. Barac, see C.G.A. Oldendorp's History of the mission of the evangelical brethren on the Caribbean islands of St. Thomas, St. Croix, and St. John (Karoma Publishers, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1987).
Metadata is available under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International