Houses of Plantation Slaves, South Carolinia, 1860
This engraving in Scribner's is obviously derived from a stereograph taken in 1860 of the slave quarters on a South Carolina plantation, near Charleston; see Harvey Teal, Partners with the sun: South Carolina photographers, 1840-1940 (Univ. of South Carolina Press, 2000), pp. 276, 278. In any case, the Scribner's article notes that at the time of publication these cabins were located where mansions once stood; they were situated near the harbor, by King Street in Charleston. This illustration was also published in Edward King, The Great South (Hartford, Conn., 1875), p. 431, and later appeared in Ernst von Hesse-Wartegg, Mississippi-Fahrten [Travels on the lower Mississippi, 1879-1880](Leipzig, 1881). (Thanks to Keith Brady for his help in identifying the original source of this image.)
Scribner's Monthly (June 1874), vol. 8, p. 145. (Copy in Special Collections Department, University of Virginia Library)
Image is in the public domain. Metadata is available under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International.
North America--South Carolina
"Houses of Plantation Slaves, South Carolinia, 1860", Slavery Images: A Visual Record of the African Slave Trade and Slave Life in the Early African Diaspora, accessed October 1, 2020, http://slaveryimages.org/s/slaveryimages/item/1401?fbclid=IwAR01Ao9wofglHhI-ib8SFvbFR177j3aD-TnyAPqrgrHoniMZeSyBHm8kmQU