Cape Mount and Cape Mesurado (Monrovia), Liberia, 1840s-1850s


Click on the image to open a larger version in a new window.
previous image return to thumbnails next image

If you are interested in using this image, please consult Acknowledging the Website.

This record was last updated on 27 Jun 2017

Image Reference
UVA24

Source
Drawings of Western Africa (University of Virginia Library, Special Collections, MSS 14357, no. 28).

Comments
Ink, watercolor, pencil. In 1822, the American Colonization Society established the settlement at Cape Mesurado, later named Monrovia. Among other features, this drawing shows the rectangular houses of the settlers and the circular houses of the indigenous population (Bassa?); churches are also shown. The promontory on the right has a flagpole (another is on the left) and lighthouse. The latter is probably the first lighthouse at Cape Mesurado, erected in 1836. The drawing of Cape Mount does not display man-made features. Sources: Harry Johnston, Liberia (Dodd, Mead, 1906); Richard Hall, On Afric’s Shore (Baltimore, 2003). See other image references “UVA” on this site. For background to this and other UVA images, see image reference UVA01.